Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Player Profile: Tim Henman


In my last post I talked about what serve-and-volley tennis is, and how to implement that strategy into your individual tennis game.

I then got to thinking about how the best way to show exactly what serve and volley tennis was. This thought brought me to doing a player profile on one of my favorite tennis players of all time, the pride of England, Mr. Tim Henman

It is obvious that he is my favorite tennis player from his rugged good looks which can be seen to the right of the screen on the wikipedia page. However, despite his boyish charm I always loved watching him play tennis. His serve and volley style was a throwback to the 60's and 70's era of tennis. Also, watching him try and compete with the baseliners of the modern day game always gave his matches a little more excitement.

Even though he retired at the end of the 2007 season without a major championship to his credit he never tried to change his style of play, and was close to the top of the rankings for many years. If it wasn't for the fact that he played during the Agassi/Sampras era he probably would have had a few more titles to his credit.

I have included a few videos just to show what a true serve-and-volley game looks like (aside from Sampras of course), and I believe Henman was the best example of this because he did indeed follow the serve and volley fomat to a T and throughout his career hit amazing shot after amazing shot at the net.





As you can see from these videos Tim is not always up at the net, but he does spend alot of time up there, and his volleys are always extremely crisp. This is what I hope to accomplish to some extent when I play my next match.

No comments:

Post a Comment