Tuesday, October 6, 2009

"Very superstitious, writings on the wall"


I think in any sport there are superstitions that are followed by the athletes involved. Some professional players even have some of the weirdest quirks I have ever heard of.

Raphael Nadal will place all his water bottles in a row before each match, and will drink out of every single one evenly and not misplace the water bottles from there designated area in the row.

John McEnroe and Martina Hingis refuse to step on any of the white lines while they are walking around or through the court before or after matches, sets, or games.

Top woman's player Jelena Dokic refuses to read the draws of the tournaments she is in more than one round in advance.

Much like many of these top professionals, I also have a weird quirky superstition.

Hats!!

I cannot wear hats, headbands, bandana's....nothing!! When I play my head has to be completely uncovered.

Why is this!?!

Not entirely sure

I have just never been able to play with a hat on. I had lost some bigger matches in high school when i wore a hat, and now everytime I wear one I psych myself out, thinking I am going to lose the match before it even begins.

I know that a hat really cannot effect my tennis performance one way or another, but it does however effect how I feel in a way I cannot fully describe.

Am I crazy? Possible but it does make me feel a little better to know I am not alone in my own weird superstitions.

3 comments:

  1. It's probably especially unlucky to wear a Mets hat/cap, since they play so badly. Oh, snap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to comment about the rumor that I heard about Derek Jeter wearing thongs for good luck, (which I highly doubt that he does) but then I remembered Justin is a mets fan, and the previous comments just reminded me of that. Lets go Yankees

    ReplyDelete