Tuesday, October 20, 2009

The Re-Match

It was a beautiful Saturday afternoon when Cory and I decided to finally take to the court again to see if I could do the impossible and take a set off of him.

Standard rules applied with a best two out of three sets. The first player to win six games in a set wins the set.

I began the set serving and was broken at love (without winning a point to those of you who are not familiar with tennis lingo). 0-1

Cory then double faulted an entire game as his serving troubles have continued. 1-1

Some botched drop shots, and a few misplaced back hands cost me another service game. 1-2

Cory double faults four more points in a row and I win another game without having to put the ball in play. Cory then proceeds to scream at the top of his lungs, and chucks his racquet against the fence surrounding the court. Luckily the stick survived without cracking.  2-2



The next game I made a conscious effort to serve-and-volley on every single point. I made some pretty hard volleys and managed to hold serve for the first time in the set. 3-2

After this Cory and I decide to take a break, during which time he remembered how to serve.

I ended up losing the next four games in pretty convincing fashion with the first set score being 3-6.

The second set was over before it even started.

My serve-and-volley strategy fell apart and Cory was just lobbing almost ever single shot over my head. This was a huge problem of mine and I could never find any rhythm in the set.

I narrowly escaped the set by winning two games with some very lucky shots from the baseline. I was being outclassed, and there was nothing I could do about it.

Back to the drawing board....

1 comment:

  1. This must be maddening. And still Cory stays silent. Is he a robot?

    ReplyDelete