Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Who Art Thou Cory!?!


With my upcoming showdown with Cory quickly approaching, (Wednesday afternoon), I realized that my millions of readers might want to know who exactly Cory is.

Cory has been my best friend since the day we met seven years ago. That we played the same three sports, were involved with all the same extracurricular activities, and shared most of the same classes throughout high school basically meant that we had to be friends.

The problem with this friendship: we have played 500 plus sets of tennis, and I have never won a single one of them.


Zero

Zip

Nada

Nil

The underlying goal of this blog for me is to finally get to the top of the mountain and beat Cory. Since I have yet to accomplish this in the 7+ years of tennis we have played against one another I feel the hike is going to be pretty steep. I do have a couple ideas on how to beat Cory.Here's the tale of the tape:

                   Justin                     Cory
                      
Serve:           X                             -

Forehand:      -                             X

Backhand:     -                             X

Volleys:         X                             -

Intagibles:       -                            X


As seen from the highly technical chart from above Cory has the advantage 3-2.

My serve is better, and thanks to my doubles experience in high school i can volley quite well.

Cory's groundstrokes are much better than mine because he is much more consistent. Also, since I have never beaten him I gave him the edge in the intangible department because of the psychological advantage he has on me.

How do I beat him? I need to draw him into the net and put pressure on his serve because those are the weak points of his game. Hopefully, by using my knowledge about his game, various strategies and different racquets I will hopefully be able to finally get the monkey off my back and beat him.

          

6 comments:

  1. Good Luck Justin.
    I know you can do it (a boost for your intangible)double check that chart

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Luck Justin! If you do it I will buy you a beer (dollar beer of course, I'm not rich) at the Pub once they start letting me back in haha. As for the post I think this was a good idea because most readers in fact don't know this character.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this post because it finally explains who your friend is as well as the connection/rivalry you have with him. good luck in your upcoming match.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked how you explained your friendship with Cory. I also liked how you put the graph in stating who has the advantage at in what area. Loved the post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The intangibles in question might also include the wearing of headbands (see first photo)?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to know more about Cory! More posts!

    ReplyDelete