Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Who's Who of Mario Tennis

(Via Drew Nolan)

It's no secret that I love Mario Tenniswhich was released in 2000 for the Nintendo 64 video game console. It's true that the video games of 2009 outperform Mario Tennis in terms of graphics, game play, and depth. I won't dispute that. But there's something so simple and addictive about Mario Tennis that the game has remained relevant long after it should have died out.

One of the most appealing things about the game is that almost anyone can learn how to play. The game only requires the use of two buttons and a joy-stick. Plus, it's always nice to be able to revisit the things we loved as kids. It's for this same reason I love watching reruns of Saved by the Bell and The Fresh Prince of Bel-AirSomethings just never get old.

I consider myself something of a Mario Tennis expert. The most important bit of advice I have is to always choose your character wisely. Choosing the wrong character can easily lead to an embarrassing defeat. That being said, here is some advice on picking your character...
 Here are the three characters you should always consider:

1. Boo- Boo is my favorite character. If I play with with him, I'm confident that there isn't a person on Earth that can beat me. He is labeled as being a "tricky" player because of his elusiveness and his ability to put crazy spin on his shots. When done properly, Boo's serve is nearly unreturnable.

2. Birdo- Birdo is probably the fastest character in the game. He doesn't hit the ball very hard, but his speed allows him to return almost any shot with ease. I usually pick Birdo when my opponent has chosen a slower character.


3. Mario- It wouldn't be right to exclude Mario from this list, considering he's the star of the game. Mario, as you might expect, is labeled as an "all-around" player. He doesn't do anything particularly great, but he does everything very, very well. Mario is always a safe choice.


Here are the three characters you should never consider:

1. Bowser- Bowser hits the ball harder than any other character in the game. He's a beast, literally. The only problem here is that he moves far too slowly to compete. Unless you blow your serve past your opponent or make an unhittable return shot, you're probably going to lose the point.

2. Donkey Kong- In Mario Tennis, Donkey Kong is essentially the same character as Bowser. He's too slow and bulky to return most shots, and is extremely frustrating to play with. Whenever my opponent picks Donkey Kong, I know I'm in for a quick victory.

3. Daisy- I'll be honest. I really have no idea who Daisy is, or what game she originally came from. That being said, she is pretty good. My only issue is that she makes annoying sounds every time she hits the ball. If you really want to play with Daisy, I would advise that you hit the mute button first.

1 comment:

  1. Daisy was created for Super Mario Land as another princess to be saved, but eventually came around to be Luigi's princess girlfriend in other games.

    Also, I'm unstoppable when I play Daisy in Super Smash Bros. Melee.

    ReplyDelete